Sunday, 5 May 2013
Your Email Address and Your Blog
If you are going to connect an email address to your blog, I have some advice for you (for what that is worth):
1. Create a special email address for your blog/s – at the very least don't use your work email on your blog
2. Make the email address easy to locate and to use
· Put it onto your contact page and/or sidebar prominently
· Put it as it is – not with typed "and" and "dot" in it. I notice a lot of people use that approach but it just makes for extra work for people trying to contact you.
· Put it into your Blogger/Wordpress profile and maybe in your Google profile as well.
3. Don't hide your email address in the fine print (like disclosure policies and the like). If its there somewhere people will find it but will be put to extra trouble.*
4. Turn off the default no reply comment setting on your Blogger blog – see here for how to do this and why it's important.
All this is particularly important if you are wanting to be contacted by sponsors and/or advertisers etc.
* I think the reason people do this is to cut down spam. I have noticed spam to my gmail account has increased since I put it onto the blog but it goes straight to the spam folder and so isn't really an issue for me.