Monday 10 December 2012

You need a search box on your blog!



I am quite often surprised just how many blogs don't have search boxes where their readers can search for subjects that interest them.  Or, if they do have them, they are hidden towards the bottom of the page.  If you have a search box like that I suggest you try searching for something - often the results show up right at the top of the page and then if you want to search again you have to scroll down to find the search box again.

So my suggestion is that you make sure you have a search box and that it is towards the top of one of your sidebars - probably right at the top under the header is the very best spot.

The search box is one of the basic gadgets available in Blogger - and I imagine in other blog platforms as well.  To move it around you just need to go into Layout, add that gadget and then drag and drop it where you want it to be.

Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Great post - I totally agree and I do have a search box! ;)

    found you on the blog hop... following now :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv this...don't know why I didn't think of it...
    you have some great blogging tips. A new follower from the Meet and Greet Blog Hop. I hope that you will follow my blog as well.

    Anne Marie
    moanasuniquedesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip, and you are absolutely soooo right. Of course I'm going to need lots more content before anyone will probably ever want to search, but might as well get started now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great tip. When I do designs I try to always include the search box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger gives you a search box on the top left, and I use mine all of the time, but I've had people tell me, "there's no search engine on your blog," or something similar, so I guess they can't see that one? Or maybe everyone can see it, but they don't notice it because it's not on the side bar. I never made the connection that I might be the only one who can see my side bar when I'm signed in. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont have one but I need one, new follower from the hop!

    emmyinthemaking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! A search box is a great thing to have--I find myself using them so much. Great tip and thanks for linking up with the #MTMmixer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Search boxes make so much difference to your blog. Having one makes it so much easier for readers to navigate! :)

    Thank you so much for participating in our Aloha Friday Blog Hop!! I am following you, of course!! Wishing you and yours a lovely week!!

    Aloha,

    Jean {What Jean Likes}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely agree with this! All blogs need a search box =D
    http://xrebelangelx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there, nice to meet you! I too am of a "certain age"! Nice to meet you! Will follow you and invite you to follow me back!
    Teresa from www.nanahood.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just gave you a follow on your blog. :) Would you mind following back?

    http://www.happykidsinc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found your blog through the blog hop. I'm a new follower!

    RebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete
  13. following you via Aloha blog hop...
    please follow me back..
    http://fashionwithfitness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. you always have the best tips. thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. I will answer questions as soon as I can.